Saturday, April 2, 2011

There are things the media shouldn't share

I think the media often does more harm than good. I also think that often the media shares information that just frightens people, and has no positive affect. I think some stories are silly, and some of the emphasis put on certain stories is ridiculous. Tonight I read about how Richard Goldstone retracted his comments, I thought the story was a waste of time. His damage was done and the only thing he shared with the media is that he felt bad, and he said what he said because Israel wasn't cooperating. another story that i found to be useless to the average citizen is that Ron Paul is raising a lot of money. In a media and politics class it is important to understand campaign finance and success, but what are the chances that your average American cares who is winning the "exploratory campaign"? I also find it very unhelpful that the media is tracking, (and quite frankly frightening people all across the nation about) where radiation and nuclear activity is being found. If I lived in Illinois, there's a chance I'd be too scared to leave my house. One other story that I found unhelpful and probably economically damaging to the airline industry, was about a plane in Phoenix that had a large hole, that made an emergency landing. I never want to get on a plane again. It seems to me that these stories are unnecessary and don't do anything for the media anyways.
There are so many important stories! The world especially now is full of breaking news and crucial events. Journalists should be covering important stories, or acting like watch dogs and exposing vital information to the public. The New York Times should not have college basketball as their front page when people on the ivory coast and in Libya and Afghanistan are being murdered. The country should not care what Michelle Obama wore in Rio when innocent Israelis are being blown up and slaughtered to death.
Where and What are the media's priorities?????

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that just because something might be scary the media shouldn't write about it. I think knowledge is power and the more people know the better. Negligence is much worse, regardless if something is scary or not. The media isn't trying to scare people, it's trying to inform. If something is scary in most cases it's because whatever's happening is in fact scary, it's not just that the media is presenting it in that way.

    ReplyDelete